[ale] domain name registrars

Lightner, Jeff JLightner at dsservices.com
Thu Jul 16 10:47:34 EDT 2015

We use Network Solutions primarily.   They’re now owned by Web.com as is Register.com.    For the most part we just point to our own DNS servers but we do some have some inherited domains that we still do DNS at the Registrar.

GoDaddy always annoyed me because they’d use any excuse for blocking your transfer away from them (we do this on acquisitions) and once they block it you can’t try again for 30-60 days.

Dealing with others like OnetoOne.com and eNom didn’t seem to be as much pain.

Avoid like the plague any DNS “resellers”.   Many small web hosting companies also resell DNS registration so they can offer a single package – Such companies sometimes take the position that they rather than you own the domain you paid them for and the major company they resold for will not talk to you at all as they view the reseller as the owner.   The resellers often aren’t usually DNS experts so getting things done even fi they’re willing to help is sometimes a pain.

Also avoid “Yahoo Small Business”.   They use a DNS Registrar in Australia and we had major issues getting 3 domains transferred away (not the Registrar’s fault).   Even though we got the last of those done more than a year ago Yahoo keeps sending us notifications about the account.   One can’t cancel accounts on their site and it appears everything is automated so even though they’ve not gotten payments from you they’ll send you a series of emails periodically:
Your account can’t be renewed because we have invalid payment info.
Your account will be suspended.
Your account is suspended.
You account is canceled (Yay! – If only it were so  – they then do the same thing over a month or so later).