[ale] Best Self-Hosted Cloud Solutions

James Taylor James.Taylor at eastcobbgroup.com
Fri Jul 10 14:13:03 EDT 2015

I've been running owncloud on SUSE for quite a while.
I have clients running on linux mac and android, and they sync flawlessly.
I'm working on bring up an OC 8 server using ldap auth against my corporate tree, and so far it is working in testing.
Just need to clean up some attribute mapping.
I had tried OC a few years back, and had problems, but the latest versions have been great.
-jt

James Taylor
678-697-9420
james.taylor at eastcobbgroup.com

dev null zero two said:
> just say NO to webdav!

Would you please explain why you think Webdav isn't worth trying?

> owncloud was pretty good last time I played with it.

I've tried it a couple of times and it breaks everytime I have upgraded
it. The packaging in Debian and Ubuntu is usually out of date, so you
might want to try the packages provided by ownCloud at OBS, but last I
checked the repository wasn't secure with the standard apt GPG
signatures.  If I remember correctly the ownCloud people claimed it was
an OBS bug.

I have tried Mailinabox a couple times and it includes ownCloud and
makes it easier to setup an email server with some popular addons like
Roundcube... I had some issues with the nameserver nsd crashing, and I
think it is a IPv6 related bug.  Also the nsd wasn't configured for
automated DNSSEC KSK key rollovers so I switched over to bind9.  That
probably would have been an issue when Mailinabox was due for an
update...

Sharing files publically I just use rsync/scp and Apache running on a
VPS.  On a few occassions I configured basic password access to a
directory.  I have also setup IPv6 with SixXS at home, so I can easily
access anything with ssh.  For more private files, OnionShare [1] looks
interesting but I haven't tried it...

1. https://onionshare.org/
https://github.com/micahflee/onionshare

Chuck