[ale] glibc vulnerability

Michael B. Trausch mike at trausch.us
Sat Jan 31 11:27:05 EST 2015

On 01/30/2015 05:26 PM, Jim Kinney wrote:
> Hogwash. Where there's a will, there's a probate court.

Hah, hah.  Very funny.  :-)

I've been involved in a few projects lately where it's been more
important to prove workability and robustness than to have every feature
in the world, so I've not been using glibc much lately.  I certainly
can't audit it.

Then again, I cannot audit the Linux kernel, either.

But, the more code in my system I /can/ read through and audit for my
own personal satisfaction—or any other reason in the world—the closer I
get to the goal of understanding every line of code in the system.

I didn't think that was a terribly important thing to be able to do, but
several projects working with microcontrollers have shown me different.
While the world from that perspective is a very different place, the
concepts are the same, and it's rather liberating when you can point to
something and know why it broke because you have a very clear
understanding of your entire set of code.

That's something which is impossible on any modern general-purpose
operating system today.  I'd almost be willing to bet that Linux and the
U.S. Tax Code are just as complex as the other one (though at least
Linux can be compiled!).

    — Mike