[ale] help, windows 7 boot error

Paul Cartwright pbcartwright at gmail.com
Wed Jan 28 11:28:00 EST 2015

On 01/28/2015 11:09 AM, Brian Mathis wrote:
> Restoring from the vendor's recovery stick on the old drive will most
> likely wipe out all of your data and programs -- it is typically a
> complete wipe and reinstall of the system.  At this point since you
> cannot boot the original drive, you have the following options:
>     - Use the recovery stick to restore to the new drive, then rebuild
> your Linux install from scratch
>     - Manually install Windows on your new drive, manually copy data
> over from the old drive, then rebuild your Linux install from scratch
>
> You just need to bite the bullet and rebuild from scratch.  It sounds
> like too many changes have been made to be able to understand what
> state the drives/partitions are in, at least without physically
> sitting down at the system and debugging.  Whatever you do, make sure
> to only do it on the new drive and leave the old one alone, except for
> copying data off of it.
my only concern with restoring from the recovery USB stick is... I now
have a 3TB drive 0, and a 2 TB drive 1. I don't want the install to
touch drive 1, that has ALL my backups & Linux partitions. As long as
the recovery just formats drive 0 and installs windows on it, I will be
happy:)
I don't care about ALL the programs on it, all I really need is Windows
7, so I can install my Turbotax for 2014.. and my ancient Hallmark card
studio 2009..

> > I mounted the Recovery partition and I am copying all the files over
> to my HD.. maybe I can make a bootable CD with that, & restore windows
> to the new drive..
>
> No, you cannot do that.  This is what got you into the situation to
> begin with.  A plain copy of files to a new drive does not make it
> bootable -- you must either image it or do something else to install a
> boot sector, and that kind of thing is pretty undocumented for vendor
> recovery partitions.
yeah, I didn't think that would be an option, wish list maybe:)

--
Paul Cartwright