[ale] help, windows 7 boot error

Brian Mathis brian.mathis+ale at betteradmin.com
Tue Jan 27 16:27:15 EST 2015

For Window 7 at least, there is almost no difference in media between
Retail and OEM channels.  (Actually, OEM is 2 different channels, OEM-SLP
and regular OEM.  The SLP version is what large vendors ship, like Dell,
etc...  You only get the regular OEM version if you buy Windows from
somewhere like Newegg).  In fact, if you backup your OEM license prior to
reinstallation using this tool (written by me):
    http://directedge.us/content/abr-activation-backup-and-restore
you can restore your the OEM-SLP license after you do a reinstall.

When you install, you simply don't enter a serial number and then Windows
goes into 30-day trial mode, and run the restore using that.  Even if that
fails, there's still an OEM serial number on the bottom of the laptop that
you can use.  It typically doesn't activate using the online method, so you
need to call the automated phone system instead, but it does activate.

This was not the same in the XP days, where there was actually different CD
images depending on the license type.  This is no longer the case since
Vista (However, a vendor can create custom images if that want, and those
images might have various options preset)

❧ Brian Mathis
@orev