[ale] OT cellular protocol versions

David S Jackson deepbsd.ale at gmail.com
Thu Jan 22 18:21:57 EST 2015

Hi All (or Ale)  :-)

I have a friend whose cell phone (about 4 years old) has a hard time
talking to his local cell tower at inconsistent times of the day.
Either he has not noticed a consistent time during which his connection
goes south, or the going south of his connection does not happen at a
predictable time.

I had thought that the age of his phone might mean that older protocols
possibly weren't supported as easily as newer protocols.  But I don't
really know anything about cell phone protocols.  Is that a likely line
of inquiry, updating his phone?

I suggested he get a burner phone and see whether that phone made a more
consistent connection.  My friend is retired and not about to get a
smart phone.

I don't recognize his old phone.  I didn't look at it closely--didn't
think I'd be posting about it.  But mainly, it's one of those older
phones where there is a texting keyboard that slides apart from the
display.  It's slightly closer to square than a wide keyboard. The
battery appears to be fine.  Not a big power consumer.  He says the
fluctuation seems to not originate from his phone.  Might it be that
newer protocols have greater support and older protocols have less
support?  Or am I dreaming that after too much saki at lunch?

Thanks,
Dave