[ale] RH Satellite 6 moron's intro?

James Sumners james.sumners at gmail.com
Wed Jan 21 21:29:00 EST 2015

On Wed, Jan 21, 2015 at 8:39 PM, Ramesh Nadupalli <nadupalliramesh at gmail.com
> wrote:

> Here is my story :)
>
> I was able to set it up in my environment using that installation
> document, but it took a while for me to understand the way other
> components work in satellite. For example content views, tasks,
> understanding about the subscriptions, registering the clients etc..
> Documentation provided is not adequate.

Yes, that is the truth. It's not even half written. It's just a bunch of
steps with an occasional definition of a term by restating the term in a
different way. I'm currently using the "Provisioning Guide" (as opposed to
the "Installation Guide") mentioned at
https://access.redhat.com/discussions/1294043

It's going better so far. I left it this afternoon at syncing repositories.
Hopefully it keeps going smoothly tomorrow.

> I had lot of challenges initially with repository sync's itself. I
> have selected all the repos at once, but one of the job in the tasks
> got stuck, it broke all other activities that I was doing. After
> cancelling all the pending/in-progress tasks in foreman, I was able to
> make the progress and sync the repositories that needed for my
> environment.

Other than being slow, I haven't had any issues with repo syncing.

> In case if you have Data center subscriptions, you have to have a
> virt-who host that communicates between hypervisors and guest vm's.
> There is no saying about this in any of the documents. Had to open a
> support ticket with RHN support to get this info. Also it didn't work
> me using RHEL6.5, had to go for RHEL7.

I started with RHEL7 from the get-go. I don't like it, but I'll have to
bite that bullet sooner or later so I might as well do it now. As an aside,
if you're like me and not down with the systemd backward commands --
https://github.com/xyproto/sys/pull/1

> Found that current version doesn't support integrating with AD. All
> the users have to be internal. There were other issues too that I have
> faced, finally we are up and running. Compared to sat5, I like this
> product, but looking forward for the next release.

I learned this through a rather annoying experience. I was filling in the
external LDAP form as I normally would for integrating a system with such
(including AD). As you can guess, it wasn't working. I couldn't figure out
what log file to read for answers so I called support. They wanted me to
compile a debug tar, send it to them, and then wait for the turnaround. I
just wanted to know which log to read!

Anyway, I figured out how to enable debug logging for Foreman after I
figured out it would be the Foreman log with the answers. Sure enough, the
answer was right there in the log. The "LDAP User" field in the settings is
literally that -- the user that will be logging in. You can put "$login" in
place of the actual username in the LDAP DN string to support multiple
users. I figured it would be a directory reader user that looks up the DN
for the username that is attempting to login; silly me.

Even after figuring that stuff out it still failed. Of course I was trying
to authenticate against an AD LDAP and that requires extra configuration
(that just isn't possible on that woefully inadequate LDAP settings form).

--
James Sumners
http://james.sumners.info/ (technical profile)