[ale] Still using plain FTP? Why?

Byron Jeff byronjeff at mail.clayton.edu
Tue Jan 20 13:05:35 EST 2015

James,

I think you missed the point. While it turns out that netcat has similar
syntax to telnet, the very fact that I'm not absolutely certain about it
means running to the man page every time I want to use it just to verify
that the syntax in fact matches my memory of it. With telnet there is no
doubt, no manpage, no thought whatsoever. It's instinct at this point.
So much so that by the time the high level thought has gone halfway through
my head to verify connectivity, that my fingers are almost finished typing
the telnet command that checks said connectivity.

It's simply counterproductive at this point to try to change horses for
this activity. I pull out netcat when I want to create a temporary net
service out of an existing command. Great for that. Worth looking at the
manpage or example website to refresh how to use it.

BAJ

--
Byron A. Jeff
Chair: Department of Computer Science and Information Technology