[ale] iptables redirect IP

Chris Fowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Wed Jan 14 17:45:58 EST 2015

RackSpace burnt me last night with a failed drive in a RAID on one of their hosts. We were down 1.5 hours.

In respsonse I brought up a guest at Digital Ocean and it is now slaving off the RS guest. If RS goes down again I'll just promote
it to master.

This does not solve the problem of my users going to a web address that points to RS. I can't change the DNS fast enough so I'm thinking
I could use iptables to redirect their connection to the correct site.

Failover will be automated, but human initiated. One of the tasks will be to delete an iptables rule and apply another. The system they will go to
is at Norcross Peak 10. The RS system is in Chicago and Digital Ocean in San Fran. Each system has a public IP address and not on the same lan.

I've done this before as pranks, but looking at implementing the idea of a load balance without the load balancer. When I ran some tests to redirect PUBLIC_A:XXXX to PUBLIC_B:SSH I did a who on PUBLIC_B and saw the address of A. Not my desktop at home. I do have MASQ running on A,

Is this the way this is supposed to be implemented? Traffic will go to A then redirected to B. I was hoping that A would redirect to B and then my desktop and B would be a direct connection.

Is this correct?

http://wiki.vpsget.com/index.php/Forward_%28redirect/nat%29_traffic_with_iptables

Chris