[ale] OT: Arduino

Charles Shapiro hooterpincher at gmail.com
Wed Jan 14 09:59:14 EST 2015

Built meself a fun little heart-on-sleeve machine with an Arduino Uno.
Here's ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=guZ9PStlZfk )  the guts, before my
wife sewed a nifty little holder for it .  Next project is a hybrid
cigar-box guitar/theremin which is currently sitting in pieces on my
workbench.  If you have even a few  C++ chops, the sketch language is
really easy to learn. The development environment is pretty small.  I have
it running on a tiny linux distro sitting on a vintage 2000 laptop without
troubles.

Arduino + Raspberry Pi could let you do really interesting stuff.  I saw a
demo not long back where someone had succeeded in getting a RasPi to run
OpenCV ( http://opencv.org/ ) through a cheap webcam.  That makes it
possible to for a hobbyist to construct a compact, low-power device which
can interact with the world visually, the way your dog or cat does.  Hmm.

I'm holding off on Raspi until I feel really comfortable with breadboarding
and basic electronic circuitry, which is really Arduino territory. I'm a
lot more experienced with the software stuff.

-- CHS

-- CHS

-- CHS