[ale] firefox oddity

Sean Kilpatrick kilpatms at gmail.com
Mon Jan 5 14:35:24 EST 2015

I just did a periodic check of the system via <htop> and discovered
several instances of firefox running -- each with its own PID.

So I killed firefox and all those PIDs disappeared from the list.
But when I restarted firefox they all came back and brought their
siblings! According to htop there are 31 instances of firefox running.
Except for the PID and the runtime, all the lines are the same:

PID  USER  PRI   NI VIRT    SHR  CPU%  MEM% TIME+   Command
1712  me   20    0  1795M 55800  0.0   4.9  0:11.9  /usr/lib64/firefox

Obviously there is a problem somewhere as the listed processes would be
using 152% of memory, which clearly isn't happening.

htop reports current memory usage as 1588/7711 MB.

Anybody have a clue as to what is going on here?

Sean