[ale] All you Comcast fanboys...

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Fri Jan 2 14:49:34 EST 2015

On Fri, 2015-01-02 at 14:09 -0500, Adrya Stembridge wrote:
> I am planning to replace the Comcast modem with my own soon.
> Appreciate the reply below.  I will make sure to take pictures of the
> modem with receipt and store for my records.
>

> It took an hour at the comcast store to get them to finally remove a
> second modem they were wrongly charging me for.  It took all of my
> being not to melt down and scream at the top of my lungs.  I voice
> recorded my interactions with the representative(s) just in case they
> somehow put the second modem back on my bill later.

Good move.  Document everything in interacting with them.

I will say that the AT&T crowd are certainly not angels and definitely
not always the sharpest tools in the shed but, when I compare my
personal experience with Comcast with my experience with AT&T, I would
love to ditch them both but AT&T is the far lessor of the two evils in
my book.  I don't recall seeing anything in the news recommending
recording every single support call you make with AT&T but it seems to
be the standing rave with Comcast.  I also haven't seen too many (any?)
support call fails with AT&T going viral like they are with Comcast
happening with too frequent regularity.

Disclaimer:  I will also admit to a bias because I'm also taking
advantage of an "undocumented feature" that's a part of our UVerse STBs.
Each wired STB (Set Top Box) and the DVR have a coax port and an RJ-45
port.  The coax port runs 200MB HPNA (ethernet over 75 ohm cable coax).
Turns out that all those boxes contain and HPNA to RJ-45 bridge allowing
me to bridge my wired network into areas I could not run Cat5/6 to.  The
wireless STB also has that plus a wireless bridge.  Combine that with
IPv6 stateless autoconf, I've got a nice flat network throughout the
house.  Not sure even AT&T realizes what those devices are capable of.

Also, if you get the Motorola RG (Residential Gateway) you can get a /56
IPv6 network routed to you.

http://mailman.nanog.org/pipermail/nanog/2013-November/062304.html

http://www.att.com/equipment/accessories/internet-gateways.jsp

> > I must reply to state a warning once again: COMCAST WILL TRY TO
> STEAL YOUR MODEM.
> > I had to take my Amazon receipt for my modem into the Morrow office
> to show them proof that
> > the hardware is mine. They had started charging me a rental fee for
> it several months after I
> > had already been with them, effectively stealing my modem.

Regards,
Mike
--
Michael H. Warfield (AI4NB) | (770) 978-7061 |  mhw at WittsEnd.com