[ale] All you Comcast fanboys...

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Fri Jan 2 13:19:17 EST 2015

[Disclaimer]

I gave up on Comcast years ago.  Even if they offered me twice the
bandwidth they do now at half the price they do now, I would refuse.  I
got tired of all the lies they told me (multiple documented occasions)
years ago.  I can tolerate incompetence or ignorance but malice
aforethought will not stand.  I have plenty of bitching points with ATT
Uverse but, at least, willful lies are not one of them...

That all being said...

[/Disclaimer]

The saga of Comcast using your premises and your electricity to promote
THEIR wifi services is well documented.  I saw this first hand just this
last month where the clutter of Xfiniti public access points (on all
possible channels) were drowning out (beaconing) the legitimate services
in a residential neighborhood, making non-xfiniti services unreliable
even within a single home where we were staying.

The horror stories of their so called "customer support" is also well
documented...  Safe advice is now to ALWAYS record any support call with
Comcast...  Latest in that saga...

https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20141231/01553029553/yet-another-horrible-comcast-customer-service-experience-goes-viral.shtml

Now, they are increasing your "rental fees" by 25% for the privilege of
providing their "service" to their customers using your facilities.  The
rental fee on "their" cable modem is going up...

http://techcrunch.com/2014/12/31/on-comcast-buy-your-own-modem/

I still have a couple of my old DOCSIS 2 modems from the last time I was
wasting my time with Comicalcast.  But now, at $120 a year to rent their
"we advertise our own open service from your property" modems, why is
anyone still renting their modems?  Morotola DOCSIS 3 cable modems are
starting around $70 on Amazon?  That's what?  7 MONTHS return on
investment?!?!  And you are not providing them with free electricity and
facilities for their network or cluttering the air with their access
point beacons.  How do they continue to get away with this???

Mike
--
Michael H. Warfield (AI4NB) | (770) 978-7061 |  mhw at WittsEnd.com