[ale] Ruby for sysadmins?

Jerald Sheets questy at gmail.com
Fri Feb 27 14:58:15 EST 2015

Leam,

You’re no doubt aware of what I do.. <snicker>

In all this time, I’ve only ever used a single line of ruby.  It was a shell-escape to BASH to get the value I needed.

Everything else I’ve ever needed, I was able to get out of the DSL & associated tools.  In short, you don’t need Ruby at all to do Puppet, and all the job descriptions are running 2-3 years behind current versions of Puppet.  In fact, with the latest Facter, you can simply drop an executable shell script somewhere, and have it pushed through pluginsync and run in-module!!  Just like the old ruby facts in

<module>/lib/facter

you can now have

<module>/facts.d

and get the same result, and have it be in any language at all as long as your execution of the program returns foo=bar.  Now you have a new fact, and no Ruby was harmed in the extension of this Facter table.

Jerald Sheets RHCSA/RHCE
Sr. Puppet & Solutions Architect
jsheets at shadow-soft.com
(d) 404.620.3607
(m) 404-293-8762

Open Source System Integration Experts
To learn more, go to http://www.shadow-soft.com <http://www.shadow-soft.com/>

To see how Shadow-Soft can help your organization Live Open and Save Hard, watch this video

The information contained in this message and any attachments is confidential and proprietary.  It is intended only for the named recipient(s).  If you received this message in error, please notify us immediately and be aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution, or use of the contents of this information is strictly prohibited.