[ale] Freeradius, MSCHAP, and Active Directory

James Sumners james.sumners at gmail.com
Thu Feb 26 12:33:56 EST 2015

The #freeradius channel is less than helpful, and I'm not keen on the
yet another one). So I'm hoping someone on this list has the answer I need:

I'm setting up a Freeradius server that authenticates supplicants against
an Active Directory system. I have ntlm_auth work, and I can authenticate
via Freeradius. So, if I have a user "Jane Doe" with a username "jdoe" then
a typical Windows auth request will succeed. That is, the username
"foobar\jdoe" will be split into "domain = foobar" and "username = jdoe",
and the ntlm_auth will work just fine.

However, when I have a user like "Tom Doe" with a username like "tdoe" then
Windows will send "foobar\tdoe" as the username. When I watch the
Freeradius debug output I can see in the mschap processing that it gets a
username "foobar    doe" sent to it. That clearly won't work.

Does anyone know how to prevent Freeradius from mangling the name by
interpreting escape sequences?

--
James Sumners
http://james.sumners.info/ (technical profile)