[ale] ot: rant ... just little :)

David Millians millia at panix.com
Wed Feb 18 12:05:39 EST 2015

On 2/16/2015 12:42 PM, Boris Borisov wrote:
> Just read this on Linux news site ... Setting a static IP on Ubuntu: a
> beginner's guide
> Remember days when you had to open proper file and edit it to get
> connected.

Yup!

> Do we teach good linux habits or thinking if you want with
> making things easy ... Using network manager for example

Easy is good. Reliable is better. Easy and reliable is best. And GUIs
are easier for most people. They should be easy and reliable.

If not, then we should just give up on linux on the desktop. To borrow a
phrase, the priesthood of the believer is not that which causes rapid
growth. It takes a learned audience, and 95% of people don't care/won't
care. And there is nothing wrong with that on PCs.

Now, if you're managing a server, whole 'nother ball of wax. Learn
CLI/Love CLI/Live CLI. But if you're just using a tool to get to the
web? Nope.

Feeling curmudgeonly in favor of simple today, perhaps from fighting
with smb etc,
David