[ale] ot: rant ... just little :)

Vernard Martin vernard at gmail.com
Mon Feb 16 19:41:42 EST 2015

On 2/16/2015 3:51 PM, DJ-Pfulio wrote:
> On 02/16/2015 12:42 PM, Boris Borisov wrote:
>> Just read this on Linux news site ... Setting a static IP on Ubuntu: a
>> beginner's guide
>>
>> Remember days when you had to open proper file and edit it to get connected. Do
>> we teach good linux habits or thinking if you want with making things easy ...
>> Using network manager for example
>>
> Uh - you can still edit the same file to get a static ip. The only thing
> different from 15 yrs ago is resolvconf stuff for DNS has to be added there too.
> It is also safe to purge network manager from systems, if you like.

a LOT of things actually reinstall NetworkManager. I've found in
general, its best to leave it there and just "chkconfig NetworkManager
off". and of course, use a configuration management tool such as
cfengine to make sure that it STAYS off.

Can't tell you the number of times that has bitten me in the butt by
getting RE-enabled by some app that reinstalls it.

*grrrr*