[ale] SLES on to an usb stick and more.....

Chuck Payne terrorpup at gmail.com
Mon Feb 9 11:17:02 EST 2015

Narahari,

I do all the time since when I got places I am now giving away 4 GB USB
drives for people to try to use openSUSE, you can do the way Christopher
stated or use SUSE Imagewriter

https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Live_USB_stick

It the easiest way to create a USB stick, I use for all the Images that I
create from SUSE Studio as well.

If you want I can mail you a openSUSE 13.2 USB Stick.

Terrorpup a.k.a Chuck Payne Local Coordinator for openSUSE

On Mon, Feb 9, 2015 at 10:11 AM, Christopher George Bollinger <
christopher at bollingetorix.net> wrote:

>  I was able to install OpenSuse from a USB stick using the 'dd' command.
> There is much information online about it but the basic syntax is as
> follows,
>
> dd if=/path/to/downloaded.iso of=/dev/sdX bs=4M
>
> Here's a link with more info, "https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Live_USB_stick"
> <https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Live_USB_stick>
>
> Hope this is helpful.
>
> Christopher Bollinger
>

> On 02/09/2015 10:04 AM, Narahari 'n' Savitha wrote:
>
>  Friends:
>

>  I would like to get input on as to whether any of the members here has
> installed SLES (or OpenSuse) on to an USB stick.
>
>  What I would lo  do is to install SLES11.3 on to a first USB stick
> /dev/sdb -2GB in size.
>
> Next I would then like to use another USB stick 8GB on which I will be
> installed 3 VM’s inside of KVM.
>

>  You may ask why.  Here is the reason.
>
> Office has these Windows boxes that are not being used and the drives are
> encrypted.
>
> Without erasing those drives,  I would love to use the 16GB of RAM on them
> and the powerful CPU’s to run multiple VM’s for testing some puppet
> deployments.
>

>  Anyone has experience installing SLES on to an USB stick without GUI
> help please advise.
>

>  -Narahari

Terror PUP a.k.a
Chuck "PUP" Payne

678 636 9678
openSUSE -- Terrorpup
openSUSE Ambassador/openSUSE Member
freenode(irc) --terrorpup/lupinstein
Register Linux Userid: 155363

Have you tried SUSE Studio? Need to create a Live CD,  an app you want to
package and distribute , or create your own linux distro. Give SUSE Studio
a try.