[ale] [ALE] Linux happy scanner with dual sided sheet feed?

Tom Freeman tfreeman at intel.digichem.net
Sat Feb 7 15:43:32 EST 2015

Unless there is something else - I guess that I'll see what HP/Brother
equipment with duplexing is locally available and give it a whirl.

Currently I have two Epson scanners - one works a treat after a decade
(but no sheet feed that I can find), the other is rebranded something or
tother, wants manual massage to get configured, and sits on the floor
unconnected. Probably should make it free to a sympathetic home.)

On Sat, 7 Feb 2015, Jim Kinney wrote:

> HP scanjet is Linux happy using hplip tools.
>
> Brother has some dual sided multi function scanner/printers and their tools
> play nicely with sane/xsane.
>
> Multiguess online only quizzing tends to shut down the grade grubbing when
> the answers sheet they get is nothing more than "question 1 is chapter 2,
> section 3.5 chart #2". It's also fun to have 10-20 questions on a 5 question
> quiz that are selected and ordered randomly. It _way_ fun to have math in
> the questions with random input parameters so each student test is unique so
> they can't compare grades :-}

I like where you are coming from, and might get forced there someday.
Although having only 2-4 more questions than fit in the quiz may not leave
the questions sufficiently fungible (sp?).

> I also like a test with sections of multiple questions of "choose two or
> three of the following to answer from each section until you answer at least
> X points" and have each question point value be different.
>
> But my totally fav test process I got in undergrad classical mechanics: test
> on Friday, take a copy home to rework over the weekend, grade is average of
> the two.

I kind of like that also. We were pestering the prof for a take home in
PChem. He let us in on the take home final one of his profs handed out
(Citedal, about 1950?). One question only. Considering the automobile,
trace the chemical production/history from mining or butchering or
harvesting to the final product. I _think_ those students could ignore
dyes and pigments. Not only take home - but open library. I'm not certain
how close that instructor graded that pile of paper, but it would take
time.