[ale] #! is dead

Ted W. ted-lists at xy0.org
Sat Feb 7 10:26:59 EST 2015

On 02/07/2015 10:19 AM, DJ-Pfulio wrote:
> For my desktops, I start with a minimal Ubuntu Server, then add a WM and the
> 20-30 programs I use. It is scripted, so every time it improves AND something
> breaks when there is a new LTS release. ;)
>
> Never used #! - I'd assumed it was more like Arch and rolling releases just
> don't fit my stability needs.  Seems that distro was pretty much exactly what
> I've been doing manually the last 4 yrs - since Unity became default.

#! was build on Debian stable. From what I can gleam from the forums it
sounds like this may have been partially, if not wholly, based on the
progress Debian has made and changes coming up in Jessie. I don't know
how much, if any, is because of the change to Systemd but it sounds like
at least part of it was. Not for philosophical reasons but purely
technical ones. It sounds like there is also movement to keep #! going
under a new name...

"...long live Sparkle Dancer!"

--
Ted W. <ted at xy0.org>