[ale] [OT] - Raspberry Pi 2

Byron Jeff byronjeff at mail.clayton.edu
Mon Feb 2 12:44:50 EST 2015

On Mon, Feb 02, 2015 at 12:16:09PM -0500, dev null zero two wrote:
>    it's pretty neat, but it still has the same limitations as the
>    original: you can't buy the chip unless you're ... Apple or Google
>    or NASA. you're stuck buying the boards so you can't build a product
>    around it. it's awesome for hobbyists though.
>    definitely gonna pick up a few.

The raw chip really isn't targeted to to hobby segment. But the time you
get done sticking on a PCB and surrounding it with the necessary
peripherals, you're way above the budget of any of these boards.

My one caution for everyone is not to get caught up in famous name of the
PI. There are tons of other contenders out there. Last month I purchased
two pcduino3 nanos:

http://store.cutedigi.com/pcduino3-nano/

Quick rundown:

- 1Ghz AllWinner A20
- 1GB RAM
- 4GB bootable NAND flash flashed with Ubuntu
- GB Ethernet
- SATA port. Not bootable, but can host root filesystem.
- 3V Arduino shield interfaces and IDE
-  multi-format 1080p 60fps video decoder and 1080p 30fps H.264 and MPEG4
   video encoder with its built-in hardware video processing engine.
- USB OTG in addition to 2 full sized USB2 ports
- Has the ability to run Android 4.4

$39.00 + $6.40 shipping.

Right now I'm trying to nail down how to boot a kernel from NAND flash and
pick up the rest of the filesystem from SATA.

So take a look around as there are a ton of these type of SBCs floating
around:

http://linuxgizmos.com/ringing-in-2015-with-40-linux-friendly-hacker-sbcs/

BAJ

>    On Mon, Feb 2, 2015 at 12:07 PM, Jim Kinney <[1]jkinney at jimkinney.us>
>    wrote:
>
>      hardware heads should be trouncing all over this this already but
>      the
>      RP2 is available today. It uses the same video as earlier but now
>      has a
>      quad-core arm7 cpu and 1G RAM.
>        !!!
>      Adafruit.com ($44.95) is slammed and sold out already.
>      The Raspberry Pi 2 delivers 6 times the processing capacity of
>      previous
>      models. This second generation Raspberry Pi has an upgraded Broadcom
>      BCM2836 processor, which is a powerful ARM Cortex-A7 based quad-core
>      processor that runs at 900MHz. The board also features an increase
>      in
>      memory capacity to 1Gbyte.
>            * Broadcom BCM2836 SoC
>            * Quad-core ARM Cortex-A7
>            * 900 MHz
>            * Dual Core VideoCore IV® Multimedia Co-Processor
>            * Provides Open GL ES 2.0, hardware-accelerated OpenVG, and
>              1080p30 H.264 high-profile decode
>            * Capable of 1Gpixel/s, 1.5Gtexel/s or 24GFLOPs with texture
>              filtering and DMA infrastructure
>            * 1GB LPDDR2
>            * Boots from Micro SD card, running a version of the Linux
>              operating system 85 x 56 x 17mm
>            * Micro USB socket 5V, 2A
>
> References
>
>    1. mailto:jkinney at jimkinney.us
>    2. mailto:Ale at ale.org

Byron A. Jeff
Chair: Department of Computer Science and Information Technology
College of Information and Mathematical Sciences
Clayton State University
http://faculty.clayton.edu/bjeff