[ale] Fwd: Donald Trump thinks he can call Bill Gates to "close up" the internet

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Thu Dec 10 13:23:51 EST 2015

On Dec 10, 2015 1:20 PM, "Lightner, Jeff" <JLightner at dsservices.com> wrote:

><snip>
, Bill's main strength was in marketing not in technology.

Ditto for Steve Jobs. He could sell shit to a stable boy and make them feel
proud they paid extra for the crusty pitchfork.

Kilpatrick
> Sent: Thursday, December 10, 2015 12:13 PM
> To: Atlanta Linux Enthusiasts
> Subject: Re: [ale] Fwd: Donald Trump thinks he can call Bill Gates to
"close up" the internet

> I think I can speak to this a little bit.
>
> I left Windows with 3.1 and ran to OS/2, which at the time was miles
ahead, technically, of Windows.  I was still with OS/2 when I moved to
Atlanta in 1998 and by that time the IBM OS actually had speech recognition
working along with many other features that Windows kept advertising -- but
not delivering.

> I left OS/2 for Linux when IBM basically ended support for OS/2.
>
> The main reason IBM could not compete with Bill Gates when offering an
operating system for personal computers had nothing to do with the OS
itself and EVERYTHING to do with corporate understanding of how to market
to the personal computer market. Basically IBM marketers had no clue. They
only understood Big Iron.  At every turn Microsoft clobbered IBM with
advertising and paid shills.  Microsoft would wildly claim that new
features were coming with the next release (features that OS/2 had offered
for months if not years) and then not deliver as promised.

> I do not understand the charge that OS/2 required beefier equipment than
Windows.  I NEVER owned a computer with the latest and greatest CPU and
maximum memory and OS/2 ran just fine on the second or third rate equipment
I could afford.

> Sean

> On Thu, 2015-12-10 at 10:50 -0500, DjPfulio wrote:
> > But most people don't know these facts. To them, Bill Gates created the
PC and Bill Gates created the Internet.

> > I believe Windows beat oS/2 because the hardware requirements for
Windows were much lighter than those required for os/2.
> > Don't forget that Windows was not popular until version 3.0 and os/2
was not useful until version 2.1.