[ale] systemd

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Tue Dec 8 11:33:07 EST 2015

On Tue, 8 Dec 2015 10:56:21 -0500
leam hall <leamhall at gmail.com> wrote:

> Okay, I finally heard one positive comment on systemd. It allows some
> of the more granular kernel security controls that init scripts don't.
> Not that I'm totally happy, but this is something to go look more at.
>
> Leam

However...

The minute a comparison is made between systemd and "init scripts",
it's likely that the speaker has accepted at face value Lennart's false
choice of systemd vs upstart vs sysvinit (init scripts). What about
these init systems:

* Epoch
* s6
* s6-rc
* runit
* nosh
* suckless init plus daemontools-encore plus an ordering agent
* Busybox init
* OpenRC

Might some of those have even better "more granular kernel security
controls" than systemd? It would be interesting to find out what this
person meant by "more granular kernel security controls". Do you have a
URL? We need to make sure this isn't just a soundbyte.

Thanks,

SteveT

Steve Litt
November 2015 featured book: Troubleshooting Techniques
     of the Successful Technologist