[ale] Beginning Android Coding

Byron Jeff byronjeff at clayton.edu
Mon Dec 7 11:50:23 EST 2015

On Mon, Dec 07, 2015 at 11:10:56AM -0500, DjPfulio wrote:
>    Give me vim and a good makefile any day.

Android development is doable in this mode. Just need to run Ant on the
command line.

The other model that I've used is Scripting Layer for Android (SL4A) which
facilitates running scripting languages (Python, Lua, JavaScript, etc.)
directly on the device. Each has API hooks into the underlaying Android
API. Comes with both native and  webview UI. Also has a remote execution
model so you can develop on your desk.

Takes some infrastructure to get going. You need SL4A and the interpreter
of your choice (I prefer Python) on your device.

BAJ

>    On 7 December 2015 09:59:28 GMT-05:00, Pete Hardie
>    <pete.hardie at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>    Eclipse is a maze of twisty little options, all alike.
>
>    On Mon, Dec 7, 2015 at 9:55 AM, Charles Shapiro
>    <[1]hooterpincher at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>    I've already created a simple Android app
>    ( [2]https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.tomshiro.ada ).
>    Hey!  I even have 12 users out there!
>    Much of the learning curve for me was actually dealing with Eclipse,
>    which is indeed a big honkin' IDE with lots of buttons, sliders, menus,
>    et cetera.
>    -- CHS
>
>    On Mon, Dec 7, 2015 at 8:15 AM, DJ-Pfulio <[3]djpfulio at jdpfu.com>
>    wrote:
>
>      Beginning Android Coding
>      [4]https://github.com/scruffyfox/AndroidCourse
>      It has links to videos, slides, speaker notes and important links
>      for 6 lessons.
>      Should be enough to create a simple Android app. Fun for everyone!
>      I figured a few people might like to learn Android development
>      instead of C or
>      Linux administration over the holidays. ;)  The only warning is that
>      Android
>      development is usually performed in Eclipse, which is a fairly heavy
>      Java-based
>      IDE.   8+G of RAM is about the min for Eclipse, 16G would be
>      nominal, IMHO.
>
>    --
>    Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.
>
> References
>
>    1. mailto:hooterpincher at gmail.com
>    2. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.tomshiro.ada
>    3. mailto:djpfulio at jdpfu.com
>    4. https://github.com/scruffyfox/AndroidCourse
>    5. mailto:Ale at ale.org
>    8. mailto:Ale at ale.org

Byron A. Jeff
Associate Professor: Department of Computer Science and Information Technology
College of Information and Mathematical Sciences
Clayton State University
http://faculty.clayton.edu/bjeff