[ale] semiOT: Desktop

DJ-Pfulio djpfulio at jdpfu.com
Wed Dec 2 20:41:35 EST 2015

On 12/02/2015 08:22 PM, Jay Lozier wrote:
> To me the DE is an environment that makes my life easier to use a computer when
> I do not want or need to use the CLI. What would more interesting is what do
> people use from homebrew to the usual suspects.

I use openbox/WM, no bloated DE. All the notifications drove me this way, push
the lack of a 3D GPU and that my main desktop runs inside a VM, so any heavy
graphics just doesn't work well.

The ugly openbox XML config file has about 8-10 custom keyboard settings to
launch programs that I use - FF, KeePassX, calc, and ..... xterm.

For anything else, the CLI can launch it from an xterm.

KISS. Don't want a computer to be any harder to use than it needs to be, though
I must admit that wobbly-Windows was nice for about an hour. After that, it was
just eye-candy that didn't have a purpose, sucked CPU/GPU and harmed system
stability ... sorta like Unity.

IMHO.