[ale] RHEL 6 rngd issue

Scott McBrien smcbrien at gmail.com
Mon Aug 31 15:22:23 EDT 2015

Red Hat doesn't guarantee to not break all the things, but rather things like ABIs and APIs.  https://access.redhat.com/site/articles/rhel-abi-compatibility

With the lifespan of a RHEL release growing from 5 to 7 to 10 years (plus extra years for those willing to pay for it), it's just not feasible to expect that the OS will stay as static as one might like.  There are times where a package just needs to get refreshed to a newer version, where back porting may no longer be an option.  Red Hat doesn't do this all the time, and there are some packages (like gcc or the kernel) where updating the package would violate the api/abi compatibility.  Other packages are fair game though.

Taking my Red Hat off.  I understand your frustration.  This happened to me on RHEL 7 between 7.0 and 7.1 for one of the packages I use, and it was more severe than a couple of option changes.  When talking with Red Hat engineering about it, it was obvious that they had no idea why I was miffed.  I should clarify, the engineers had no idea why I would be miffed.  The Product Managers understood, but figured out that there weren't a lot of people using the package so that upgrading it would add features and make it easier to use, and that it was worth the risk of putting off a couple of atypical customers (internal) to improve the product.

It happens, it's painful sometimes, but the decisions aren't made by random, there usually is a reason that it was decided to change the package. Whether you agree with that reason or not is a completely other thing ;-)

-Scott