[ale] RHEL 6 rngd issue

leam hall leamhall at gmail.com
Mon Aug 31 14:58:58 EDT 2015

If you're using rngd on RHEL 6, check to see if you're using the -i or -t
options. RH did a major version upgrade, from 2.x to 5.x, and dropped
support for those options. Unfortunately, if you do have them in your
/etc/sysconfig/rngd file it will preclude rngd from starting at all. I've
sent RH a kludgy work-around. Or you could use {Puppet|Chef|Salt|Ansible},
etc. Lots of possibilities.

I'm mostly frustrated because one of the RH standards is that they don't
break stuff in the middle of an OS. This is the second time I've seen it in
as many years, and the "we don't see that as a priority issue" tap dance is
starting to bug me.

Leam

--
Mind on a Mission <http://leamhall.blogspot.com/>