[ale] Is it risky?

Paul Cartwright pbcartwright at gmail.com
Sat Aug 29 09:33:24 EDT 2015

On 08/29/2015 09:07 AM, DJ-Pfulio wrote:
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UEFI seems pretty complete.
1. my default/primary/first installed linux OS is fedora..
2.

  *

    If your disk already contains an ESP (eg if your computer had
    Windows 8 preinstalled), it can be used for Ubuntu too. *Do not
    format it.* It is strongly recommended to have only 1 ESP per disk.

I had windows 8.1 pre-installed, upgraded to windows 10, then installed
fedora. Then added 2nd drive & ubuntu server. Now I have 2 ESP
partitions.. oops:)

shim is a new package, part of this ESP/UEFI... but guess what, in that
whole article here is the only mention of shim:

  SecureBoot

"Secure Boot
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unified_Extensible_Firmware_Interface#Secure_boot>"
is a new UEFI feature that appeared in 2012, with Windows8 preinstalled
computers. All current Ubuntu 64bit (not 32bit
<https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/grub2/+bug/1025555>) versions
now support this feature, but as PCs implementing support for it have
only become widespread at the end of 2012 it is not yet widely tested,
so it's possible that you may encounter problems booting Ubuntu under
Secure Boot. If you do, please file a bug report against the shim
<https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/shim/> package in Ubuntu,
preferably using the command ubuntu-bug shim once you've installed with
Secure Boot disabled.

so, what exactly is shim?? and why do I care?? without it, I don't think
ESP works:) and you can't boot linux.

--
Paul Cartwright