[ale] Is it risky?

Paul Cartwright pbcartwright at gmail.com
Sat Aug 29 07:12:38 EDT 2015

I just got a new computer. It had windows 8.1 on it. the first thing I
did was upgrade to windows 10, complete all the updates.
then I shrunk the windows partition, and added my 2nd drive. Then I
installed fedora 22, then I installed ubuntu server. grub says I can
boot windows, ubuntu, and fedora. I have been in a long thread on the
fedora group about UEFI, and grub issues.. the UEFI & grub boot process
is... wacky to say the least.. it changes all things grub going forward.
YMMV :)

> Actually, it's the other way around. There's a long documented list of
> things Microsoft has done to make dual booting as hard as they can
> without getting slapped by DoJ.
>
> The basic way to dual boot is this:
>
> Start with a blank(ed) hard drive. Install win7 first and only allow
> it half the hard drive. Leave the second half unpartitioned. Do all
> the windows updates even though it may take days and many reboots. Now
> install Linux on the empty space. Learn how to reinstall grub using a
> live CD because later win7 updates will screw it up and you won't be
> able to boot to Linux.
>
> The better solution is boot from your favorite Linux distro disk, wipe
> the drive and install Linux ONLY and never look back. If you must use
> some windows application for work, learn how to use virtual machines
> from Linux.
>
> On August 28, 2015 9:56:17 PM EDT, John Caruso <misrerenobis at aol.com>
> wrote:
>
>     This last time after about 6 or 7 tries Ubuntu trashed both of my
>     hard drives and would not run. I had a backup of Windows 7 taken
>     about 3 weeks ago and some of the 7 dvds I used were useless so I
>     basically lost everything and did not have Linux afterward. I
>     think there is an incompatibility between Win 7 and Linux. Don't
>     know if I want to go thru that again.Maybe Linux was not meant to
>     share an OS.

> -- Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.

Paul Cartwright