[ale] Desktop 32GB of RAM

DJ-Pfulio DJPfulio at jdpfu.com
Tue Aug 18 22:34:09 EDT 2015

Compiling Java?  64G isn't enough. Java is and always will be slow and
RAM hungry. I joke. 16G is plenty for most people.

Get a few SSDs, put them into RAID0 and be happy. Make certain you have
excellent backups due to the risks of RAID0. Which is cheaper per GB -
RAM or SSDs?

Back in the old days, my team developed C++ programs that took about 45
to compile and link with IDE drives. Convinced management to get one
Adaptec 2940u SCSI HBA and disk - compile times dropped to 20 min under
Windows - effectively doubling productivity. 3 months later we'd
upgraded 20+ dev workstations to SCSI disks. It was a no-brainer for
$300/seat.

All the Unix systems we supported were already SCSI and more powerful,
plus with batch compilations, nobody is watching the clock like people
do using an IDE.