[ale] Desktop 32GB of RAM

DJ-Pfulio DJPfulio at jdpfu.com
Tue Aug 18 17:33:35 EDT 2015

My desktop has 3G of RAM and 3G of swap. It runs inside a VM with 2 vCPUs.

My netbook has 2G of RAM and a 4G swap. 2G of swap wasn't enough and the
system would lockup a few times a week - browsers suck too much RAM
these days.

VM servers have more physical RAM, but if you run mainly Linux VMs and
don't need geospatial DBs, 16G seems more than enough for a quad-core
i5. There is a trade-off between CPU and RAM.  After all, most Linux
servers rarely need more than 1G of RAM and often 384MB or 512M is plenty.

I suppose with 12 cores, then 32G could be useful, but none of my
systems have more than 4 cores.

I have too much RAM in a few systems - it is wasted.  My PlexMS+kodi
server has 8G and rarely uses more than 2G. That was a waste of money.

I cannot imagine needing more than 4G on a desktop. Just can't, but I
don't run bloated DEs or use much graphics.

I think 32G would be a complete waste on a desktop.

--
Got Linux? Used on smartphones, tablets, desktop computers, media
centers, and