[ale] Ruby vs C, a non-technical chat

Michael Trausch mike at trausch.us
Thu Aug 6 13:30:01 EDT 2015

With any compiled language, it depends on how it is linked.

Statically linked binaries incorporate all their library code and therefore are self sufficient. You can write code in c, c++, go,  rust, swift, Ada, and even Java (1.4 in gcc), compile the object files, and then link statically to have a single file distributable.

This is how I write my portable software that has to run on windows.  On Linux I dynamically link since all the components I use are already installed there. The major thing I statically link onWindows is  the Cairo graphics library, which is far easier for me to use than GDI or GDI+.

Sent from my iPad