[ale] Ruby vs C, a non-technical chat

James Sumners james.sumners at gmail.com
Thu Aug 6 11:06:58 EDT 2015

I need to configure systems and using Satellite 5's "Configuration
Channels" is just not feasible any longer. I set out to describe a server
to host an Oracle database with Puppet and the amount of work to even get
started is just way too much.

Ansible looks to be far easier to get going. My plan is to create a Git
repository to contain the Ansible environment for either all of my systems,
or multiple repos for groups of systems. I'll have history of system
configuration changes, and I'll be able to manage my systems from the
multiple computers I use via a local tool.

On Thu, Aug 6, 2015 at 10:42 AM, Dylan Northrup <ale at doc-x.net> wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 6, 2015 at 10:16 AM, James Sumners <james.sumners at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > Satellite 6 has standardized on Puppet... Eff Puppet. I'm going with
> > Ansible.
>
> I've found Puppet (and Chef) to be good for doing application
> configuration and installation and Ansible to be good for systems
> configuration.  Then again I use Ansible like "parallel ssh on
> steroids" and Puppet/Chef for delivering versioned code for heavy
> apps.  The former is awesome at updating all versions of
> "/etc/resolv.conf" to point at the right thing (or distributing a
> script to do that, running it, and removing the script afterward) and
> the latter is good at verifying many, many files and replacing them if
> necessary as well as templatizing config files, populating them with
> params and verifying the parameterized config file hasn't changed from
> run to run.
>
> Different tools for different jobs.
>
> --
> Dylan Northrup
> "Adversity is just change we haven't adapted ourselves to yet."
>   - Aimee Mullins

James Sumners
http://james.sumners.info/ (technical profile)
http://jrfom.com/ (personal site)