[ale] Ruby vs C, a non-technical chat

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Thu Aug 6 01:10:47 EDT 2015

On Wed, 5 Aug 2015 14:43:00 -0400
James Sumners <james.sumners at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 5, 2015 at 2:28 PM, Steve Litt <slitt at troubleshooters.com>
> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 05 Aug 2015 12:45:38 -0400
> > DJ-Pfulio <DJPfulio at jdpfu.com> wrote:
> >

> > > You definitely have options.  Of course, if you want to be a
> > > web-app developer, RoR work is also highly sought these days.
> >
> > I'm not a fan of Ruby or Rails, but it's an undisputable fact that
> > if you're thoroughly proficient in Rails, you can whip out a
> > website in next to no time, and that ability can translate into
> > some pretty good money working for small and intermediate sized
> > businesses.

> And then watch it bomb when it gets any sort of heavy traffic...

No doubt about it. That's why Twitter is switching over to Scala. But
Rails enabled them to get up and running fast, and get a jump on the
market.

> If you're looking to get into web development right now, JavaScript
> via Node/IO.js is the way to go.
>
> Even doing scripting for just server stuff, Node is far faster than
> Ruby in almost every case --
> http://benchmarksgame.alioth.debian.org/u64/compare.php?lang=v8&lang2=yarv

Ruby != Rails.

Development speed != Run speed.

So I stand by my original statement that the person good enough at
Rails to bring up apps quickly will be in demand.

By the way, I'm not making a statement about the development speed of
Nod.js or Angular.js etc: I'm not familiar enough to make such a
statement. I do know that Rails develops lightning fast.

SteveT

Steve Litt
July 2015 featured book: Rapid Learning for the 21st Century
http://www.troubleshooters.com/rl21