[ale] Ruby vs C, a non-technical chat

Michael B. Trausch mike at trausch.us
Wed Aug 5 23:50:45 EDT 2015

On Wed, 2015-08-05 at 17:26 -0400, Chris Fowler wrote:
> There was a time when I was all C/C++.  "Scripts suck!"  I only used
> Perl to automate testing of our C/C++ code base.  As I wrote more I
> begin to write code that would have been written in C in Perl
> instead.  This allowed me to easily and quickly test ideas. I then
> wrote the code in C.  Eventually I did not write the code in C.  I
> kept it in Perl.  I focus on network monitoring, management,
> automation, etc.  Almost all the code that really does heavy lifting
> is Perl.  I have written some Python libraries for our projects too.
I like to write the heavy lifting in C++, and then use SWIG to generate
the API for prototyping/automation/testing/etc., which keeps all the
doors open anyway. Static C++ code is easier to support when you're not
the one with the hands on the system, too.  It's just amazing how many
"IT professionals" will completely screw up your scripting code for no
other reason than they could read it and they thought they could solve
their problem without calling you, but they only made it worse instead,
and they broke the system's remote access, and... well, you don't see
IT n00bs really messing with ELF files all that much.
I never could stand Perl.  The best use I have for the big heavy Perl
book I have is to kill palmetto bugs that have strayed into the
house...
	— Mike