[ale] Ruby vs C, a non-technical chat

leam hall leamhall at gmail.com
Wed Aug 5 18:06:37 EDT 2015

On Wed, Aug 5, 2015 at 5:26 PM, Chris Fowler <cfowler at outpostsentinel.com>
wrote:

> I can't find the OP's original question so I only can comment based on
> this quote:
>
> > Any ideas on how to leverage a Linux and large datacenter centric career
> > into something with non-C coding?
> >

> I don't see "writing web apps" anywhere in that.  Not to knock web apps,
> because if you read my recent posts I'm doing web apps and web services,
> mostly for administration.

Hey Chris, that's the basic question. I'm not a web type guy, so RoR isn't
really my thing. If I can script something at work I try to put it into
Ruby. The RPG stuff I'm doing is in Ruby as well. Can't say it's great
Ruby, but it does run. Mostly...

Part of the issue is that I've worked in large organizations for a while,
and the way you advertise yourself is with certifications, classes, etc.
Lots of requests for a CompSci degree, which is not on my resume. The
puppet cert is supposedly a pain and dependent on memorizing command line
options. Guess they don't let you read the help files or man pages.

So I'm not seeing a lot of ways to advertise myself. I had started a
project in line with my interests and skills, and the NSA decided to start
their own version of the project. For good or ill, I think they have more
name recognition.

At this point I'm working on my TDD skills with RSpec and Cucumber, and
learning more about objects. I'm not in the ATL area so not able to
associate with the Ruby crowd there.

Leam

--
Mind on a Mission <http://leamhall.blogspot.com/>