[ale] Z-Wave or ZigBee

Alex Carver agcarver+ale at acarver.net
Tue Aug 4 19:13:09 EDT 2015

On 2015-08-04 15:57, Chris Fowler wrote:
> [...]

Sure there are many choices including building one.  The interface to
the ZigBee radio is usually a very simple two wire UART so you can use
that to get to your desktop via a USB UART.

Check this page from Spark Fun:

https://www.sparkfun.com/categories/111

You'll see at the top the Xbee USB explorer (in dongle and wired form)
upon which you mount one of the blue Xbee ZigBee Mesh modules (caution
because there are other versions of Xbee).  That's the DIY route (which
is what I like to do).  For the packaged version you can get something like:

http://www.adaptivem2m.com/zigbee-technology/zigbee-usb-dongle.htm

There are others around, too.

Either way it exposes a serial terminal to the computer and works as a
bridge.  There are also ZigBee to Ethernet gateway modules available
which would allow any machine to speak ZigBee via TCP.  For example:

http://www.digi.com/products/xbee-rf-solutions/gateways/xbee-gateway

(there are USB sticks and other modules at the bottom of that page, too)