[ale] can't install windows on ST3000DM001

DJ-Pfulio DJPfulio at jdpfu.com
Mon Aug 3 19:12:28 EDT 2015

On 08/03/2015 04:15 PM, Paul Cartwright wrote:
>> GPT disks require UEFI BIOS and 64-bit Windows.
>> I think (but I've never tried it) you can add a GPT disk later, but it won't
>> boot from one.
>>
>> I could be wrong. Maybe?
> I...am...clueless... GPT disk? how would I know?

Disks over 2TB are shipped with GPT partitioning. MBR is limited to 2TB
(approx).

Don't forget that Windows has lots of rules for how it will boot. Look
those up:
* whether it will support GPT,
* when 64-bit OS is mandatory and
* when UEFI is mandatory.

I suspect you are hitting some of those.  The trivial workaround is to
boot off a smaller disk with MBR.

OTOH, be certain you review all the privacy sucking new "features" in
Win10. They actually push the whole drive encryption private keys to
microsoft servers - I'm serious. Who thought that was a good idea?

--
Got Linux? Used on smartphones, tablets, desktop computers, media
centers, and