[ale] Something faster than X-Windows but more secure than VNC server?

JD jdp at algoloma.com
Tue Sep 30 16:06:48 EDT 2014

FreeNX seems dead.
x2go is very similar - both NX and SSH - easier to setup and works well with
recent releases.

Of course, all of this assumes the app isn't video editing or high end graphics.
 For nominal office productivity stuff it works fine.

Had to stop using freenx after Ubuntu 12.04. Switched to x2go with 14.04 and it
works nicely. I miss the pre-shared ssh key from FreeNX, but normal end-user
ssh-keys work for x2go.

BTW - Loading linux software outside the package manager is to be avoided. This
ain't windows and I doubt you want the problems caused by forcing old
dependencies to be stuck in the package manager.