[ale] Something faster than X-Windows but more secure than VNC server?

Lightner, Jeff JLightner at dsservices.com
Tue Sep 30 13:39:36 EDT 2014

Basic question:
Can anyone suggest something faster than X-Windows but more secure than VNC server?

Details:
We have applications that run as X applications.   The vendor is used to running this in VNC Server but that isn’t very secure.

We instead gave X access on MS-Windows desktops using Exceed or Cygwin/X and the applications are exported back to the users’ desktop.   Since we’re doing this via ssh X tunneling it is encrypted.

The users continually complain that this is too slow for their needs.   We did initially give a single VPN session access to a remote consultant using VNC because it was clearly too slow going over the multiple hops it took to him in Pennsylvania.

Now I’m being asked to either turn on VNC Server for the users to access internally or propose an alternative solution.

Is there such a thing as a host based service like VNC Server but that makes an encrypted connection to the users’ desktop so that only the display is being sent encrypted rather than having to draw on the desktop.  Is there a way to make the VNC connection encrypted?

Jeffrey C. Lightner
Sr. UNIX Administrator

DS Services of America, Inc.
5660 New Northside Drive NW
Suite 250
Atlanta, GA  30328

P: 678-486-3516
C: 678-772-0018
F: 678-460-3603
E: jlightner at dsservices.com

Athena®, Created for the Cause™

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail may contain privileged

or confidential information and is for the sole use of the intended

recipient(s). If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure,

copying, distribution, or use of the contents of this information

is prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received this electronic

transmission in error, please reply immediately to the sender that

you have received the message in error, and delete it. Thank you.