[ale] vips in rhel/centos 7

Lightner, Jeff JLightner at dsservices.com
Tue Sep 30 13:23:34 EDT 2014

Did you do the setup using the config tool or did you do it by editing a file from command line?

Haven’t done it on RHEL7 yet but on later versions of RHEL6 it was using the Network Manager rather than the network to do configurations and I noticed that alias IPs (along with the primary IP) had to be configured in the main ifcfg-eth0 file in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts rather than in a separate ifcfg-eth0:1 file as they did previously.   In RHEL6 we disabled Network Manager to return to previous functionality mainly because we couldn’t see the aliases with the old tool (there was a newer one to see them but it annoyed others).

My note at the time said:
You can’t see the aliases with ifconfig but can with nm-tool

This link is the one I found that helped me and I added comments when I worked on it that may be helpful:
https://access.redhat.com/site/solutions/32652