[ale] Older parent friendly desktop WM

Preston preston.lists at gmail.com
Mon Sep 29 10:52:33 EDT 2014

On 9/28/2014 3:14 PM, Alex Carver wrote:
> I need some suggestions on a lightweight desktop WM that would be
> friendly to my parents that are used to Windows.  My dad just got
> scammed by one of these "driver update" scareware companies (it was a
> pop-up ad) that charge high dollar amounts for installing free software.
>
> I think it's probably time to shift them over to Linux, isolate them
> from administrative functions, but leave the system looking friendly.
>
> Ubuntu might be a bit too much and too heavy for their laptop.  I tend
> to use fluxbox but that's a bit too minimal. :)

I've put PeppermintOS on lots of peoples laptops/netbooks. It's a small
footprint cloud friendly spin of Linux Mint (made by LM devs) and uses
an LXDE environment. It also has a nice Software Center that people find
easy to use.

If you want to stick with something longterm how about Lubuntu LTS?

As an aside, I was a longtime fluxbox user, but pulled a stint with
FVWM-Crystal and now have become entrapped in Openbox land.

Preston

--
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don’t matter and those who matter don’t mind.
-Dr. Seuss