[ale] Changing Linux

David A. De Graaf dad at datix.us
Fri Sep 26 16:58:46 EDT 2014

On Fri, Sep 26, 2014 at 07:41:04PM +0000, Lightner, Jeff wrote:
> Having worked on multiple variants of UNIX (including BSD) and Linux what I can say is NOTHING is the same "everywhere" even if it is all "mostly" the same.   There was similar gnashing of teeth when many UNIX variants started abandoning Berkley (the basis for BSD) in favor of System V.   The most ungodly setup for that was Solaris where you had paths to BOTH System V utilities AND their Berkley counterparts wherein the flags were often quite different.   Almost none of the UNIX variants used the same administration tools nor did they necessarily approach things like disks the same way.   Solaris was big on Solstice Disk Suite (what an abomination) whereas HP-UX used LVM and both eventually allowed and encouraged use of Veritas Volume Manager (except possibly for boot/root).
>
> Linux is a different animal from UNIX even though there are lots of similarities.   Pretending it always did things the "UNIX" way is specious at best.   One only has to look at top load averages exceeding 1 x # of CPUs to understand that.   I never met a UNIX system that wasn't starting to have performance issues at that level and all but locked up at 2 x # of CPUs but on Linux I've seen systems swimming along fine with load averages of 35 or higher for 2 CPU cores.

I have a modest proposal:

Before we attempt to resolve the really important issues of
systemd, journald, grub2, etc.,  let us first reach unanimity
on the propriety of top-posting vs. bottom-posting.

This message would be the perfect candidate to analyze the pros and
cons.

--
	David A. De Graaf    DATIX, Inc.    Hendersonville, NC
	dad at datix.us         www.datix.us