[ale] returned to the list...

David Jackson deepbsd at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 25 22:13:54 EDT 2014

So far it's been Slack and now Ubuntu. Started with Slack 3.0 and then red hat 3.3 thru 5.x.  I used Debian back around Sarge. There was a pretty major change in the libc in Linux then. Many broken systems.  I think I remember someone writing a howto to do that upgrade with apt-get and my upgrade went flawlessly.  I think there had to be a specific order. Anyway I've always had a soft spot for apt-get after that.  But I remember my deb box being way out of date behind the rest of Linux land.  So I'm happy to see so many Debian spin offs. <br/><br/>Slack has been instructive and a lot of fun as a box I can tinker with and tweak how I like.  But a little harder to update in place without fixing a bunch after.  Still a fave distro tho.  If I focused on streamlining and getting the upgrades down I'd probably be happy with it forever. <br/><br/>So far Ubuntu seems like a favorite and easy. Not sure how I feel about Canonical.  Unity is a great word but they