[ale] / 70% full

Lightner, Jeff JLightner at dsservices.com
Thu Sep 25 11:10:20 EDT 2014

Usually I do a 'find / -name core" first to make sure there aren't any large core dumps files from aborted processes.  Doing "file core" on any found will show you what it was that aborted and give the signal (usually sigsegv) that caused the abort.   If it is fairly old I usually just delete it.   Anything more recent I might delve into to figure out why it died.

Also I do a 'find / -name "*.tar"' to see if there are any large tar bundles.   Often running gzip or other compression on them will get back space.

After that I usually look in /tmp and /var/tmp first to be sure there aren't old temporary files that can go away.

Next I look to see if any logs have gotten unusually large.   (Be sure NOT to delete a log file until you've verified it is not "open" by a process (losf <logfile> will tell you if it is.)   In such a case you can truncate but not delete (or you can stop the process, delete then restart the process).

Doing the find Leam mentions is a good way to find large files.  Just be sure you don't automatically delete anything until you know what it is.

On our systems I separate out /tmp, /var, /usr, /opt and any application/database directories so as to avoid filling / itself.