[ale] debian network manager

Horkan Smith ale at horkan.net
Mon Sep 15 13:46:58 EDT 2014

You'd mentioned in an earlier email that you didn't see NetworkManager on the system... does that still seem to be true?

I'd look for /etc/init.d/network-manager, /usr/sbin/NetworkManager, and try a 'ps -auxww | grep -i network' to see if anything was around, as well as just 'aptitude search network-manager' to see if the package was installed.

I typically remove the network-manager package from my servers, and use the /etc/network/interfaces file to configure a variety of bridges and virtual interfaces.

I do the same on the laptop, but mostly bring up things manually.  (I switch between different networks a lot, depending on the task at hand.)

Depending upon just how badly you're willing to mangle things, you could just rename '/usr/sbin/dhclient' to something else (is it using dhclient, or dhcpcd?)  You might even be able to use that to figure out what's running it (try replacing the dhclient exec w/ a script that saves the output of a 'ps' to a file, then look for the PPID.)

Once you've got the auto-DHCP stopped....  For a while I had setup several mapping stanzas in my /etc/network/interfaces file, then would use a script that exported a network name in an environment variable - the mapping script would pick the appropriate mapped interface depending upon the desired network name.  It was a bit ugly, but worked well for awhile.  In practice now, I just leave the interfaces file simple/manual and set stuff up manually instead.  Let me know, and I'll try and dig out more info on the mapping approach if you want.

later!
   horkan