[ale] OT: mini PC

Damon L. Chesser damon at damtek.com
Sun Sep 14 22:40:32 EDT 2014

While not directly responding back to the OP, I did answer my own
question:  I ordered one of each of the below, both with a 4G SODIMM and
a 68GB SSD.

<http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KR0QHXW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1>http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KR0QHXW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HVKLSVC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I am amazed.  they both worked with ubuntu flawlessly, both wired and
wireless.  Both play 1080P video.  I tested halflife2 on one of them
with no issues (via steam).

For the price of ~$220 each, you can have a dual core intel chip, 4GB
RAM and 68GB SSD.  Multiply that by 10 and for ~$2200 you have your own
"orangebox" with each node sucking 7w power (or about $1.81 of power per
year, I have had quoted me).  One real low cost, multi-host, highly
configurable lab that will run OpenStack, RHEV, Ovirt, and anything you
can imagine, just throw in a switch and network cables.

Granted, you will not be able to do heavy lifting with it, but you can
POC the crap out of things and you will not need a new AC to cool your
home lab room.  Oh, and they make good media servers and I read a Steam
box, but I have not tried that.

Damon at damtek.com
404-271-8699