[ale] If there a neat way of peeling apart bash variable by delimters?

Neal Rhodes neal at mnopltd.com
Sun Sep 14 19:41:20 EDT 2014

If in a shell script, you have a variable loaded with a character value,
and there is a delimiter, and you want to peel it apart by that
delimiter, is there a built-in expression to do that?

Here's what I'm doing, and I'm thinking there should be a better way.

        FULLNAME=$1                                  #eg:
CustomerEntry.CreditLimit
        DOT=`expr index $FULLNAME .`
        DOTM1=`expr $DOT - 1`
        TABLE=${FULLNAME:0:$DOTM1}