[ale] [OT] Small, inexpensive cases or using threaded rods?

Jeff Layton laytonjb at att.net
Tue Sep 9 17:28:51 EDT 2014

Afternoon,

Work is done so I can turn my attention to better things :)

I'm looking at building a small cluster of 4 systems. Each
system will have just the MB, memory, processor, and
maybe an SSD or HD (no more than 2 per node). The
boards are all micro-ATX or mini-ITX and I'm not sure which
one I'm getting. I'm thinking about put each system in a
small case with a power supply but I'd like to keep the
case small.

In looking at Newegg the smaller cases are all fairly pricey
even without power supplies ($40-$80). The MB+CPU is less
than $100 (I don't know how much memory I'll put in just
yet). Any recommendations? (BTW - the CPUs draw 25W).

The other alternative is going the "threaded rod" route. I've
seen lots of people do this but I've never done. This would
allow me to dump the case. Maybe something like this:

http://www.calvin.edu/~adams/research/microwulf/

Has anyone done this before and could give me some advice
offline?

TIA and sorry for the interruption.

Jeff