[ale] power

William Bagwell rb211 at tds.net
Mon Sep 8 20:48:18 EDT 2014

On Monday 08 September 2014, Jim Kinney wrote:
> There are at least 2 substations that power Emory. The hospital is
> SUPPOSED to be power-outage proof (thus MY concerns for the ebola work!).

Worked at a factory (1996 - 2003) that had a feed from two power companies.
Only remember two power outages and one of those was a dropped phase. (3
phase machines do *not* like this!) Possible this was the case? One would
think whatever they spent big bucks on could recognize this as well and
switch, but perhaps they consider it too rare of an event to bother with.

Had a cheapish ~$100 UPS here when I was in school because of a few on-line
classes. As it got older I noticed that momentary power glitches only kicked
*my* computer off. Wife, son & daughter's computer as well as the firewall
all stayed up. UPS went buy-buy after that:)
--
William